James Erskine Public School

Strive and Grow

Telephone02 9834 3009


Parents, carers and the community

As a parent or carer, you are an important part of our school community. We offer a range of services to support you and your family.

Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C)

Our Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C) is made up of parents and carers, teachers and community members. The P&C meets regularly to contribute to decision-making, developing policies and management plans as well as fundraising.

Counselling for families

The school counsellor can assist when families undergo a trauma or big change. Contact us to make an appointment. For information in community languages, see school counselling service.

Outside of the education system, free telephone counselling services are available to support families who may be going through a difficult time.

  • Lifeline – 24-hour telephone counselling service. 13 11 14.
  • Mensline Australia – 24-hour telephone counselling service for men. 1300 789 978.
  • Parent line – an advice and information service. 1300 1300 52.

Interpreting and translations

We will help you communicate with our school. If you’d like an interpreter for a school meeting, let us know and we will arrange one, if available.

If you don’t speak or understand English well and want to contact us, call TIS National on 131 450 and ask for an interpreter in your language. The operator will call the school and get an interpreter to help. This service is free.

For more information, listen in your language.

Visit the department’s translated documents section for important information that’s relevant for your child’s education in many languages.

Approaching your school

From time to time parents or other members of the school community may need to approach the school in order to:

  • discuss the progress or welfare of own child
  • express concern about actions of other students
  • enquire about school policy or practice.

It is therefore necessary to have procedures that will help solve problems as soon as possible so that a safe and harmonious school environment is maintained. The best results usually flow from working together.

These guidelines aim to:

  • provide a guide in order that concerns are dealt with in an open and fair manner
  • ensure that the rights of students, teachers and parents are respected and upheld
  • support sensitivity and confidentiality
  • help reach an agreed solution.

On occasion, concerns may cause frustration and anxiety. At such times it is always important to organise a time to talk with school staff in an unhurried and confidential atmosphere.

Trying to talk to teachers when they are trying to teach, manage children or are engaged in another conversation is inappropriate.

If you are concerned about the academic progress of your child, directly contact the child's teacher either by note, by phone or in person to arrange a suitable time to discuss any issues. You can call the school on 02 9834 3009 to voice your concerns.

If you are concerned with the welfare of your child:

  • for minor issues directly contact your child’s teacher to clarify information
  • for more serious concerns, contact the office. State the nature of the concern and arrange a suitable time to talk with class teacher or appropriate staff member.
  • to convey information regarding a change of address, telephone number or emergency contact, custody details or health issues please contact the school office.

If you are concerned with the actions of other students:

  • contact the class teacher for a classroom problem
  • contact the Stage supervisor or deputy principal for playground problems
  • at no time should a parent approach another child other than their own to address an issue at school.

It is the school's policy to contact the school office. State the nature of your concern and make an appointment to see the principal, deputy principal and/or appropriate executive members of staff. The school’s phone number is 02 0834 3009 and the email is jameserski-p.school@det.nsw.edu.au